Post-transcriptional regulation, why

Peter Cherepanov peter.cherepanov at uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Sep 11 06:29:23 EST 2002

... Our lecturer on Molecular biology often said:
"I do not know why, but I can explain how it is".

Regulation post transcription gives cell a way to first of all downregulate
the messages and proteins that have been already produced in a response to
different stimuli. And in this way to resolve conflicts between different
responces. Making all regulated messages and proteins intrinsically unstable
would have been a waste of energy.

Transcription regulation alone would probably not be able to generate full
complexity even of a single cell organism. It is something for a
supercomputer model to try out ...

Peter

---