Urgent question: protein sequencing.

Kyle Legate legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Wed Sep 11 14:34:26 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, SK wrote:

> I have a question. I pulled down unknown protein by affinity
> chromatography. I would like to identify what it is.
> What method should I use?
> Mass spec or N-terminal sequencing?
> What should I do if this protein is blocked at N-terminus? Is there
> any method to overcome this problem to do N-terminal sequencing?

Sequencing is more likely to give you meaningful information. Generally
N-terminal sequencing gives you several sequences to work with if your
unknown protein is chopped up with trypsin first. That way you get some
internal sequences in addition to the extreme N-terminal sequence,
increasing your chances of obtaining a positive ID.

legatek at mcmaster.ca		Kyle Legate            legatek at hotmail.com

   Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca
    moon musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch