feather DNA isolation

andreadavila at hotmail.com andreadavila at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:34:20 EST 2002

Michael Witty wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2002 andreadavila at hotmail.com wrote:

> > Im working on isolating Dna from feathers, I was using chelex to dos
> > this and it work great, but now Im trying to use a nother method because
> > the method with chelex doesn´t work with mature feathers. cuold any body
> > help me.
> > andy

> Dear Andy,
>          are you isolating feather DNA or feather parasite DNA?
> Apologies, Mike.

Dear Mike.
thank you for your reply, well Im isolation Feather DNA, not parasite DNA, let me explain you a little about my job, at fist I was isolating DNA from feathers that had like a black ink a the tip of the feather ( pigments), but this ink is only available when this feathers are growing, and at this time of the year the feather are mature, and there isn´t any "ink" on them, so I was wondering If I could use another method to isolate DNA from mature feathers. Actually my jod is to sex birds. Im not an expert on this sujbetc yet, Im still studing biology and I really need help.
andy

http://biowww.net/mynews/tree.php?group_name=bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts&begin=0