protein dimerization in SDS-PAGE

Tom Anderson univ0938 at herald.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 07:15:29 EST 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, D.K. wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308102108150.14415-100000 at crow.linux.ox.ac.uk>, Tom Anderson <univ0938 at herald.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> >On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, D.K. wrote:
> >
> >> - Substitute dodecyl for lauryl sulfate everywhere.
> >
> >Are dodecyl sulphate and lauryl sulphate not the same thing?
>
> Oh, yes, indeed it is the same. Sorry - my mistake!
>
> But now I am thinking what exactly it was that I did about 10 years
> ago... It was bought as lauryl (and that's where my confusion came
> from). Umm, now I think it was lithium lauryl/dodecyl sulfate... No idea
> why it a different salt would make any difference (but I know it did).

As i understand it, the lithium form is more soluble than the sodium form;
i suppose it has something to do with the physical properties of the ions,
but it's been a long time since i did my A-levels!

If that's true, then presumably, a solution of LDS and NaCl is no better
than SDS, as the sodium ions from the salt will precipitate the dodecyl
sulphate. There isn't usually NaCl in the sample buffer itself, but i
can't remember off the top of my head what's in the running buffer: if
it's got Na+ ions, using LDS may not be helpful.

tom

--
REMOVE AND DESTROY