antigen / antibody immobilization

"Lewis, Ben FMC Ben.Lewis at fmc.sa.gov.au
Wed Feb 19 17:57:40 EST 2003

Hi Reddy,
Simple answers to your questions are as follows:
1) Can tag antibodies or recombinant proteins with tags (eg Myc/His-tags)
that have affinity for specific columns.
2) IF KEPT UNDER THE CORRECT CONDITIONS rxn's should not occur if the Ab is
lyophilised with a solid support.
3) Ab affinity can be as simple as eg. pyrimidine nucleic acids binding with
a triple bond. Usually this occurs in either a linear or quaternary
(topological) manner, depending on the type of Ab (ie. polyclonal Ab's
contain both epitope types).
However, the questions asked cannot be addressed in a manner by which you
would understand immediately. That is, you would need to do some additional
reading. Your best option is to get hold of a good biochemistry text (not
microbiology) such as 'Molecular Biology of the Cell', Alberts, Bray, Lewis,
Raff, Roberts and Watson, 'Principles of Biochemistry', Lehninger, Nelson
and Cox. There is also a good section on antigenic variation in 'Genes VII',
Lewin.
Hope this helps.

Benjamin Lewis BSc (Hons) GRACI

Research Associate