one gene - two different species Experimental design question

Kyle Legate legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 16 16:53:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Frank O. Fackelmayer wrote:

> This is one way to go. Keep in mind, though, that this experiment does
> not tell you how much protein is made, but only how much RNA. This is in
> no way the same!
>
> What about comparing infected and non-infected rat cells. The
> non-infected only show the endogenous protein, the infected show the
> heterologous protein made on top of it.

> No problem with the +/- approach, or did I miss something important?

If the human protein is similar enough to the rat protein in terms of
function the cells could enable negative regulation, and decrease of the
endogenous rat protein to compensate for the increased level of human
protein. All in the name of homeostasis.

legatek at mcmaster.ca		Kyle Legate            legatek at hotmail.com

   Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca
    moon musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch