Virus size particle purification by gel filtration?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Fri Jul 18 21:20:02 EST 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:57:56 +1000, "Ben Long" <long at rsbs.anu.edu.au>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to purify protein complexes which are similar in size and
>structure to virus particles (abou 100-200 nm diameter).  I was considering
>Sephadex  (G75 to 200) cleanup to remove low molecular weight contaminating
>proteins but I can't find any info on whether something of this size will
>even move into the gel.  Does anyone have any experience in viral
>purification this way?  Can I expect my complexes to move into the gel and
>be immediately excluded or get stuck on top?  Any help appreciated.

FWIW, ribosomes will elute in the void volume of Sephadex G-(mumble);
used in the old days when making in vitro translation extracts from
wheat germ, but they are smaller than your particles

You might want to also think about Sepharose CL-4B or something
similar, or sucrose gradient sedimentation.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu