cDNA library

Raymond Dalgleish ray at
Fri Jun 6 04:34:20 EST 2003

My preference is for the cDNA systems produced by Invitrogen. I have made 1
library and a graduate student has made one too - both of excellent
complexity and good sizes inserts. Invitrogen may now have kits based on the
"Gateway" vectors which makes the moving of inserts easy.

The amount of cDNA that you make is so tiny that you really do need to
monitor progress with radioactivity. It's a great help too if you need to
ethanol precipitate. No guessing whether or not you still have the pellet.

Raymond Dalgleish
<laurakal2000 at> wrote in message
news:20030605110207.5205.qmail at
> I want to make my a cDNA library from human uterus tissue. I have looked
into a few kits (namely Stratagene Zap Express and Clonetech SMART).
> THe clonetech kit seems easier to use and also it does n't use
radioactivity to monitor 1st strand and 2nd strand synthesis. Just wondering
is it really necessary to use radioactivity ? Won't you see a smear on an
ethidium bromide gel to confirm if you get cDNA synthesis anyway ?
> We are currently using a non radioative kit for our
Southerns/ I am not experienced with radioactivity at all.