Primer Extension vs 1st Strand Reverse Transcription

Nicolas Kuperwasser nkuperw at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 20:42:25 EST 2003

Hi, I'm going over some protocols between primer extension and 1st
strand reverse transcription and I have a question as to why the
protocols are different even though (in theory) it's supposed to do
the same thing.  In primer extension, there is a more stringent
annealing step than in RT. If i adapt the RT reaction to be more
stringent (i.e. slower cooling from 65 to promote more stringent
annealing) can I still get a good reaction?

thanks

Nicolas Kuperwasser