Why single colony?

Lei Young lyoung at student.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 18 07:45:46 EST 2003

I think the main reason is that during transformation sometimes more than 1 DNA
are transformed into a single cell. Although later they will eventually be
separated into different clones due to incompatible replication origin, the
recovering incubation time is normally only sufficient for less than one cell
division, which may not be sufficient for complete separation, and result in
hybrid colonies. However, this situation rarely occurs and keeping the original
colony should work fine.