Western Blot with ECL

Jayakumar, R R.Jayakumar at RoswellPark.org
Tue Apr 27 08:55:58 EST 2004

Generally the idea is the you dilute your antibodies 5- 10 fold more than normal dilutions used with sensitive substrates like CDP-star or the ones used in ECL (ie., if you were using 1:10000 dilution, you must use 1:50,000 to 1:100000 for very sensitive substrates like CDP-star etc.).  this is when compared to the relatively weaker substrates like CSPD. I am not sure what sort of substrate you were using earlier, nor the antibody concentrations you were using before.   So if you were getting high background with ECL, then the most likely suspects are the antibodies, unless otherwise you are doing low blocking and low stringency washings.
    bye and best of luck

jai

---