real-time thermocyclers. Any recommendations?

Dr. James J. Campanella campanellj at mail.montclair.edu
Tue Apr 27 15:00:46 EST 2004

Dear List,

We are considering the purchase of a new real-time thermocycler. We are
looking at the Lightcycler and the ABI systems. The ABI's seem to be
cheaper, but we have experienced less than stellar performance from our ABI
sequencer and standard thermocycler and do not want to end up with another
expensive paperweight. The Lightcycler costs more by about $15,000, but is
rumored to be more accurate and flexible.

I am just curious if anyone out there has a specific or general
recommendation for these or any other system. This is a major high-end
purchase for us and we do not want to make a mistake that will end up
wasting our research dollars.

Thanks,

Jim

James J. Campanella,
Asst. Professor
Department of Biology and Molecular Biology
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043

Alternate email address: jcamp at alumni.uchicago.edu