Primer synthesis problems

Austin P. So (Hae Jin) nobody at nowhere.com
Mon Dec 6 15:04:10 EST 2004

Paul Shinn wrote:

> To the other poster, I would love to cartridge purify these
> oligos but I am doing hundreds and it is cost prohibitive.

I guess it is a matter of cost versus results, no? Aren't they like $5
bucks pop?

> We do an overnight digest with the Sfi because we've found that
> anything less than 8 hours is insufficient and gives us poor
> transformants.

Well...you are under the assumption that your SfiI site is intact in the
  amplification product...

Along the lines of Duncan Clark's suggestion, depending on the sequence
of your oligo at the 5'-end, and depending on the polymerase you are
using, editing might be occurring during PCR. I'm assuming that you are
using a proof-reading polymerase since you appear to want to maintain
the SfiI site. Like I said (and I'm starting to lean towards this
possibility), your SfiI site can lead to the formation of a hairpin, and
depending on the loop sequence of the hairpin as well as the bases
flanking the loop, you can have hairpins that melt at >70C (note that
this means that at the Tm, 50% of the oligos will be melted...you should
look up papers by Benight on some unusual hairpin thermodynamics). A
proof-reading polymerase will deal with this hairpin in any number of
ways, which may explain your product distribution.

Either directly cloning your PCR product (TA cloning) or sequencing the
5'-ends of your PCR product (say by using a primer within the oligo
since it is big enough) before cloning may be able to resolve the source
of your problems.

Austin