HPLC Autosampler

P.W. at James Lab wiehlp at ohio.edu
Sat Dec 11 18:13:22 EST 2004

somehow ordained by her
       "involvement" with the Kennedy "bad boys." Again, this was at
       first a rather peculiar cottage industry. But around the time of
       Watergate and the Church Committee it was given a lift, and going
       back to a 1964 paradigm, it combined elements of the first two
       movements into a Gothic (some would say grotesque) right-wing
       propaganda tract which is both humorous and depressing in its
       slanderous implications, and almost frightening in its political
       and cultural overtones. Egged on by advocates of Judith Exner
       (e.g. Liz Smith and Tony Summers), this political and cultural
       time bomb landed in Sy Hersh's and ABC's lap. When it blew up,
       all parties went into a damage control mode, pointing their
       fingers at each other. As we examine the sorry history of all
       three industries, we shall see that there is plenty of blame (and
       shame) to be shared. And not just in 1997.

As we saw in Part One of this article, as the Church Committee
was preparing to make its report, the Exner and then Mary Meyer
stories made headlines in the Washington Post. These
elements-intrigue from the CIA assassination plots, plus the sex
angles, combined with the previous hazing of Richard Nixon over
Watergate-spawned a wave of new anti-Kennedy "expose"
biographies. Anti-Kennedy tracts were not new. But these new
works differed from the earlier ones in that they owed their
genesis and their styles to the events of the mid-seventies that
had brought major parts of the establishment (specifically, the
CIA and the GOP) so much grief. In fact we will deal with some of
the earli