RNA/DNA isolation

Sell Biology stemcells at noaddress.none
Sun Feb 1 14:17:25 EST 2004

helgelind at yahoo.com (Helge Lind) wrote:

> I'm am planning to isolate RNA and DNA from a number of human lung
> cancer samples. I have been thinking about using the RNA/DNA kit from
> QIAGEN and I am wondering if anyone has experience in using this kit,
> or other methods for simultanous isolation of RNA and DNA from tissue
> samples.

A standard text on molecular cloning says that you do not really need these
kits to get RNA and DNA that were obtained in high quality before any of
these kits ever came out on the market.   I think in more practiced,
experienced hands the old-fashioned ways work as good, and there may be
limitations with the total yields when using kits, which may not provide
large-scale handling.

It depends on what you ultimately want to do with the isolated nucleic
acids.  If you will do sequencing or transformations of eukaryotic cells,
this requires higher quality DNA.  You may prefer using kits if you are
going to work with RNA anyway, since it provides the necessary high quality
RNase-free reagents for producing polynucleotides for first strand
synthesis or blots.  Any lab working with RNA should devote and designate a
section of the lab for RNA work only, with scrupulously clean pipettors and
barrier tips.

Some might suggest that if you are relatively inexperienced and use these
methods infrequently, you should just use the kits.  But then if you are
relatively inexperienced and will begin to use these methods frequently,
then you should probably learn to prepare and use the materials for
isolating nucleic acids "the old-fashioned way."