Aceton precipitation and cofactor metals

EK nobody at elnino.com
Thu Feb 5 17:31:25 EST 2004

Hi guys,
I am sort of undecided on the following issue. Say if I precipitated an
enzyme that has metal cofactor in its structure (internal), should I add a
bit of that metal in the reconstitution buffer. Seems like the answer is NO,
because acetone should not change protein conformation or cause any kind of
unfolding. The precipitating effect is mainly due to aggregation of protein
molecules under more hydrophobic conditions in presence of the organic
solvent. Right?
Thanks.
Emir