Huh7 and acetone;)

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Sun Feb 8 00:50:02 EST 2004

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:13:09 -0500, "P.C." <PC at no.email.sorry> wrote:

>acetone is a very harsh precipitant. I would expect almost any protein
>to lose activity. It might work for very soluble, small proteins, may be...

Sure, acetone is hard on many proteins. OTOH, it is surprisingly
easy on many others. I'd guess the difference is just how
well and compactly the protein is folded, and how much of a role
an internal solvent plays.

Most of the classic biochemistry in 1960s on fractionating
yeast enzymes was done with acid or acetone precipitation.
Acetone powder preparations are at the core of muscle contractile
proteins biochemistry. And so on.

That said, I wouldn't want any protein I worked hard to
obtain to be exposed to acetone. Any acetone. The risk is just
too high.

DK