``||´´_Linear_``||´´_Conformational_``||´´_Epitope_``||´´_Retrieval

P.C. PC at no.email.sorry
Sun Feb 8 20:26:20 EST 2004

how specific is your Ab in Western blot: does it detect your protein in
a complex mixture, like cellular lisate?

is your purpose to locate the epitope or to produce an Ab for a
particlular purpose?

A similar problem: people sometimes rely on far-western blot results to
find interactors or locate regions of proteins involved in interaction.
But there will always be, as you said, "some kind of intrinsic feeling".
Anyone who has had an experience with a poor antibody or used a good one
at higher concentration than necessary would agree. Anyway,there can be
very many arguments for it and against it. With proper controls it is
acceptable.

if your protein is fused with any sort of tag, you could always do a
clean ELISA or a pull-down. If you are making deletions, some of the
mutants might not be well-folded or even insoluble, so it is not always
easy, of course.

good luck,

Peter