Huh7 and acetone;)

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:27:14 EST 2004

D.K. wrote:

> That said, I wouldn't want any protein I worked hard to
> obtain to be exposed to acetone. Any acetone. The risk is just
> too high.

Acetone precipitation is usually the first purification step with a
crude cell lysate. If it works, fine. If not, you use something else.
But you can use acetone powders to reconstitute glycolysis, so the
number of enzymes surviving it can not be that small. The trick is to
add very cold acetone (-20 degrees) very slowly to the well stirred
lysate, and do all centrifugation and preparation steps at -5 degrees.