S2 cells

Anthea Scothern antheascothern at lycos.co.uk.nomorespam
Thu Feb 19 06:33:27 EST 2004

On 18 Feb 2004 19:31:23 -0000, shereen_k at yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Is there anyone out there with experience using S2 cells from Drosophilla? I am trying to grow transformed S2 cells in Schneider media w/ 10% serum and G418(0.5mg/ml).
>
>When I thawed the cells they did not look too healthy (lots of debris and shrivelled cells). I started them in T flasks and hope to transfer to spinner flasks. The problem is that the cells do not seem to be recovering too well, its been 1 week and I have tried to spin down the cells to remove debris and add fresh media. Still no luck.
>
>Any info regarding these cells would be much appreciated.
>
>SK
>
>http://biowww.net/mynews/tree.php?group_name=bionet_molbio_methds-reagnts&begin=0

How long had your cells been frozen and at what temperature?  Cells
that have been stored at -80C only survive for a few months, wheras
cells stored in liquid N2 last for years.
Did you test that the cells were frozen successfully in the first
place?  In my experience with SF9 and SF21, the freezing protocol has
to be followed quite carefully.   Snap freezing often kills the cells
and I think the practice of wrapping vials in layers of paper towel to
slow the freezing is a little dubious too, but I know others who swear
by it!

Hope this is all useful,
Anthea.