Rapid DNA extraction methods

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Sat Jan 17 12:32:48 EST 2004

A rather toxic method is the benzylchloride extration that can be applied to
small sample masses and can be done on a number of samples at a time.  It does
damage DNA somewhat (strand breaks), but is generally suitable for PCR
(analytical).    Other than this, I would think that a simple extraction in
Tris buffer or PBS using a little SDS (0.1% or less) should yield some DNA for
diagnostics from filter paper or cotton swabs.

--
Hiranya S. Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Coll. Asst. Professor,