Rapid DNA extraction methods

Don Incognito imperat at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:47:05 EST 2004

andy.hopwood1 at ntlworld.com (Drew) wrote in message news:<eb7750b8.0401170413.6b603a77 at posting.google.com>...
> I'm looking for a rapid yet robust DNA extraction method for
> application to small samples (<1 ul blood collected on paper or
> cotton) It needs to be 30 min or less and ideally give me good quality
> PCR-friendly DNA.  A lot to ask I know. Anybody out there up for the
> challenge?

Two methods I can think of:
-- Qiagen has these spin-column kits that work pretty well. You have
to lyse the cells yourself, but the DNA purification's pretty good.

-- A fellow in my lab simply adds some proteinase K to his tissue,
incubates at 60 degrees for a few minutes, and throws the mix into the
robocycler. He swears by his PCR results...

Don Incognito
Insert "spam" in the subject to reply by e-mail