23S/16S ratios in RNA preps dependent on isolation method?

redeamer alion85 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 06:51:23 EST 2004

> I have a question about 16S/23S rRNA-ratios and if different RNA
> isolation methods can influence this ratio.

"All ribosomes are the same." <== bedrock, faith statement of
ribosomologists.

Also: "All ribosomes are for hire." "No specialized ribosomes."

All ribosomes use each rRNA and each protein once (except for protein
L7/L12 [L7 and L12 are identical except for the N-terminal acetylation
of L7] which are likely present in four copies.)

> I am working on a gram-positive bacterium and I isolate RNA using
> RNAwiz (from Ambion, but it is essentially the same as TRIzol, which
> is perhaps better known). I checked the quality of my total RNA prep
So, I guess there most be