Plasmid Preps from MRSA

Anthony C. Hilton a.c.hilton at aston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 06:38:46 EST 2004

Hi

We have been trying to isolate plasmid DNA from clinical isolates of MRSA.
In some cases we find plasmid (as expected?) and in others we are unable to
isolate plasmid DNA.  One possibility is that there is indeed no plasmid DNA
present, alternatively it might be that we are not isolating plasmid due to
difficulties in lysing the cells.  We are running positive controls from
which we obtain plasmid in each case but were wondering if anyone might
suggest a method we could use to confirm the cell lysis and plasmid DNA
precipitation step.

Thanks in advance

Anthony Hilton
Jon Caddick