chaotropic agents and cell lysis

redeamer alion85 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 11:11:12 EST 2004

jat_flozz at yahoo.co.in (arun thomas) wrote in message news:<173b88c0.0407110019.48c15e53 at posting.google.com>...
> Dear researchers :
>
>                 I guess chaotropic agents are usd for cell lysis of
> yeast, gram '-ve' bacteria but not for gram '+ve bacteria ' .... I
> want to know why and the  exact mechanism by which chartropic agents
> act ... I'd really appreciate if u could help me out regarding this
>
>  thomas

I hope this:

"...Chaotropic agents, such as urea and guanidine are capable of
bringing some hydrophobic compounds into aqueous solutions. They
accomplish this by disrupting the structure of water, making it a less
hydrophilic environment and weakening the hydrophobic interactions
among solute molecules..."

and this:

http://www.agsci.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/protein/1_54.htm

helps