Ideas for presentation?

DavidMicklem microlaserpro at lycos.com
Sun Jun 13 11:46:53 EST 2004

In article <cabk3a$vmg$1 at orkan.itea.ntnu.no>, Trond Erik Vee Aune
<trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to participate at a "Science Day" in the city where I live,
> and have been asked to make an interactive presentation for children
> from 10 to 19 where the topic is gene technology/microbiology. I can
> borrow some equipment from the lab where I work (general molecular
> biology lab). Do any of you have any ideas what I could do? Ideally it
> should involve the children and trigger their curiosity while being fun
> at the same time.
>
> Trond Erik

Could they make a rather quick and dirty DNA prep from eg onions? Spool
out the DNA from ethanol (hmm, expensive in Norway, and maybe not
allowed for children??). Get to take the DNA home with them....

Some kind of colour-changing thing using eg lacZ??

Showing cell under microscope - their own cheek cells??

GFP (RFP, CFP, YFP) is always fun in gene tech - maybe you could have
multi-coloured bacterial preps? You can excite it using BLUE light, so
no need for UV. (e.g. a blue LED works OK, or a DarkReader, with orange
filter).

Um, er, you don't have a GFP mouse running around anywhere do you :-)

David