Ideas for presentation?

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Sun Jun 13 21:01:53 EST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:39:55 +0200, Trond Erik Vee Aune
<trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm going to participate at a "Science Day" in the city where I live,
>and have been asked to make an interactive presentation for children
>from 10 to 19 where the topic is gene technology/microbiology. I can
>borrow some equipment from the lab where I work (general molecular
>biology lab). Do any of you have any ideas what I could do? Ideally it
>should involve the children and trigger their curiosity while being fun
>at the same time.

It's not exactly molecuar- or microbiology but in my daughters'
school I had good success with a simple gel-filtration.
Syringe column, Sephadex G-25, mix of hemoglobin (lyzed blood)
and cupper sulfate or tincture of iodine and chlorophyll
(spinach extract). Colors get mixed and then separated again
in front of kids' eyes.

Same thing goes for agarose electrophoresis. I ran
Promega's 6X loading dye (3 colors moving) plus (over)loaded DNA
ladder was stained with Crystal violet.

As others suggested purifying DNA from onions, maybe you'll have
time cutting with huge excess of EcoRI/BamHI. Cut vs non-cut on
a gel will be very visual.

DK