PCR inhibition from worm DNA preparation

Craig Wilding Craig.Wilding at westlakes.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 10:23:21 EST 2004

I have extracted genomic DNA from earthworms and compost worms but am
struggling to PCR from this. It seems to contain a PCR inhibitor as
adjudged by spiking PCRs that definitely work with this DNA. I have
cleaned it up with a Promega wizard column which has not completely
cured the problem. I don't know what the inhibitor is but have read that
DNA extracted from soil can contain PCR inhibiting humic and fulvic
acids. Since the worms had soil in their guts this may be the source of
the problem. Has anyone any ideas for how to clean the DNA and
completely get rid of the inhibitors?
Thanks,
Craig.

--