Decontamination Etbr

Fabius FabioDB#deleteme# at katamail.com
Sun Mar 7 07:56:14 EST 2004

Goodmorning to everybody,
I read on Analytical Biochemistry 162, 453-458 (1987) an article of George
Lunn and Eric B.Sansone: Ethidium Bromide: Destruction and Decontamination
of Solutions where it's suggest to use sodium nitrite and hypophosphorous
acid to destroy EtBr.
There is an article about Decontamination of spils on Appl Ind Hyg that I've
not found and, of course, the "usual Maniatis".
I know that oxidation with bleach is not an acceptable destruction
technique.
I work in a little laboratory  and the destruction of EtBr (that we use for
agarose gel) it's not a problem usualy becouse there is a company that deal
with chemical wastes, but the speals are a big problem.
We have a corner of the laboratory where we work only with Etbr, but
sometimes we must wash something in the sink, we do some spils, or someone
work in the wrong place or with the wrong glassware.
Someone advised me to use the simple alcool (Ethanol) to wash glassware or
surfaces. Is it true?
I want to wash all the laboratory from possible spils every some mounts to
work with more safe, how i can do?
Thancks!
--
Fabio
FabioDB#deleteme#@katamail.com

P.S.:I want to reduce the use of EtBr in the future.