how to concentrate Co-IP protein sample

P.C. PC at nospam.edu
Thu Mar 18 00:23:26 EST 2004

higher concentration of SDS in your sample will normally not influence
quality of PAGE separation. You are going to run MS on the in-gel
digested samples - why worry then?

It is strange that pH2.5 was not enough to elute your protein. It might
be that your protein is not soluble in acid (too hydrophobic? low pI)??

You can always try elution with 3M KSCN - another very good method. I
believe it is compatible with TCA (I would still try it on something
cheap like RNase or lysozyme first).

I have recently seen a protocol where they incubate anti-HA beads with
1mg/ml HA peptide at 37C (!) for elution - sounds not very promising. In
that respect anti-FLAG M2 Ab is much better.

In any case, what you normally want to do is to reduce leaking of the Ab
from the beads. If you heat your sample in SDS buffer, even without DTT,
you cannot avoid it. This is a problem especially when your specific
bands are weak.

I would also first try to do IP from cells metabolically labeled with
35S and see if there are any proteins co-IP with yours.
Extraction/buffer conditions are important and can be easily optimized
in this way.

BTW, check this link (paste it in one line):

http://micro.nwfsc.noaa.gov/protocols/
methods/ProteinMethodsDocs/10-2002/10.8.02.1983.html

best,

Peter