mRNA level and protein level correlation?

Peter Frank peter_frankde at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 18 10:43:18 EST 2004

In order to compare two systems (treated vs untreated) I quantitated
the mRNA level of my target gene using real-time PCR and quantitated
the protein level using quantitative Western blotting.

According to the real-time RT-PCR results the mRNA level is around
3-fold higher in the treated system compared to the untreated system.
According to the quantitative Western blotting results the protein
level is only around 1.6-fold higher in the treated system compared to
the untreated system.

I would rather have expected to get the same or even higher fold
change in protein level. The incubation time after the treatment was
24 h. The target protein is a transcription factor and I would expect
such a protein to be synthesized relatively quickly.

Does anyone have any idea why there is such a discrepancy between the
changes in mRNA level and protein level (i.e. considerably lower
changes in protein level than in mRNA level)?

Peter