homeemade thermocycler?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Fri May 7 00:18:04 EST 2004

"weining song" wrote:

> virtually all PCR machines now have peltier junction (actually they all seem
> to come from a single company), looks like a small piece of china with
> wirings, to heat and cool. You just need a very capable person good at both
> electronics and programming to set things up.
> Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I vaguely remember there was similar
> discussion on this site way back.

Nice termocyclers can be made from 3 water baths, set at appropriate
temperature, and a crane constructed from "Fischer Technik" (other
technokits may also work). The crane takes racks with samples between
the water baths at set time points, detemined by a micro-controler.

At least for teaching purposes I find this much more intuitive than a
modern black box, where you can not see what is happening.