-80 freezers

brenda b.hendriks at wkz.azu.nl
Sat May 15 04:18:47 EST 2004

The best one is the SANYO one. Never failed in our labs and we have quite a
lot of them

"MICHAEL L SULLIVAN" <mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu> schreef in bericht
news:33c16b3401fa.3401fa33c16b at wiscmail.wisc.edu...
> A couple weeks ago I asked for input regarding -80 freezers.  Some others
of you posted that you also were interested in information on this subject.
I posed the question of "which -80s are best" to the building manager of the
facility I used to work at.  He's been the building manager there for quite
some time, and has seen a lot of freezers come and go.  I thought some of
you might find his comments helpful,so I've appended them below.  Please
note that neiter he nor I have any affiliation with any of the companies
mentioned.

> Mike
>

> Hi Mike--
>
>         You are correct when you note that I have bought a lot of So-Low
over the years.  What I like about So-Low is that the cabinets are very well
made.  We do not have the door/inner door problems with them that we do with
Revco.  Their refrigeration system is the same as Revco, pretty much, and
they are less expensive, on the order of $5,000.  The down side of the
So-Low is the fact that they are quite noisy.

>         For those people who have more cash, I now recommend the Forma at
about $8,000.  They are much quieter than any I have heard.  They also now
have a lower and upper OUTER doors so that when you open the freezer, you
are only opening one half of it.  This limits the frost build up and also, I
would think, the temperature fluctuations inside the box.  My -80 repairman
likes the refrigeration system design that they employ.  I do not yet have
adequate experience to forecast whether or not they will run longer between
compressor changes than the comparable So-Lows.  Ask me in about 3 or 4 more
years.

>         As for reliability, a wise man (not me, that's for sure) once
said:  "the question is, not IF, but WHEN your -80 will fail".  Most upright
units run pretty well for about 5 years, and then need a compressor change
for about $1200.  Chest units do much better, but require enormous amounts
of floor space which no one really ever has.