Removal of antibodies in Co-IP

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 12:33:02 EST 2004

Simon T. Buttgereit wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> great problems occured during my Co-Immunoprecipitation as I figured
> out, that my protein of choice is in the same size range like the heavy
> chains of the used antibodies.
>
> Does someone knows a protocol for removing these antibodies?

Either crosslink the antibody to a carrier (e.g. agarose beads) or use
denaturing isoelectric focussing instead of SDS-PAGE for separation.

What kind of detection are you using? With metabolically labelled 35S or
with 125I labelled proteins the presence of the non-radioactive Ig chain
would not interfere with detection.