About TE and Tris-HCl sterilize with autoclave

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Mon Nov 1 16:33:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:39:01 -0000, "Jose de las Heras"
<jose.delasheras at virgin.net> wrote:

>"Tom Knight" <tk at csail.mit.edu> wrote in message
>news:vuybreh8v83.fsf at soggy-fibers.csail.mit.edu...
>> fabio <fabio at fabius.it> writes:
>>> I want know if a cycle of 120°C for 20'-30' in autoclave can damage
>>> the TE and TRis-HCl solutions.
>>
>> No, but a typical autoclave might leave them less pure than you might
>> like.
>> If I cared about that, I'd filter sterilize.
>
>Seconded.
>
>Don't bother autoclaving eppendorfs and tips, they're cleaner straight from
>the box!

Finally a voice of reason! :-) That's what I am trying to convince people
in the lab in but nobody believes me.

One exception though - when absolute sterility is required (e.g. mammalian
cells culture without antibiotics), autoclaving or irradiation is truly
required.

DK