general primers

Deanne Bell dbell at
Mon Nov 8 11:02:52 EST 2004

>Behalf Of roobarb945 at
>could one of you clever people give me a good definition of a 'general
>[Particular situation, in case it helps, is optimising primers for PCR
>of viruses, in particular those with many subtypes, such as

Hi roobarb
I am not sure about the context here, but it sounds like the author may
be describing a primer developed to amplify a fragment from a genus or
family (a large group that would include several subtypes).  Primers
that would allow you to distinguish between the different subtypes
would, more than likely, be called "specific" primers.
Dee Bell