FW: Purification of Genomic DNA

Deanne Bell dbell at fresno.ars.usda.gov
Tue Nov 9 11:08:02 EST 2004

>Subject: Purification of Genomic DNA
>sam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Hi Sam
It might take a couple of correspondences in order to help you.  I would
ask 2 questions: 1) what type of tissue/organism are you trying to get
DNA from? And 2) what do you want to do with the DNA / what is your
downstream procedure?

Here's some input that might help form your next questions:
Most protocols for isolation of DNA mean 'the isolation of all DNA' in
the cell.  The predominant DNA found in cells is the DNA that makes up
chromosomes (aka genomic DNA).

There are basically a handful of different techniques to isolate DNA.
In my work, I have found that in order to get good, high quality,
genomic DNA, it is necessary to test a variety of isolation procedures
right from the start.  For the most part, each of the different
organisms or species I study requires a different protocol - I work with
plants, insects and bacteria.  I have not found the perfect
applies-to-all type of protocol.  I would be happy to suggest protocols
for you to try, but I am not sure which protocol to send.

Another question: how do you know that the 'traditional method of my
lab' didn't work?  What methods did you use to visualize or quantify and
assess your DNA isolation?

Hope this helps
Deanne Bell
USDA Agricultural Research Service