systemic infection murine model

Stacy Ferguson stacyef at stacyef.net
Mon Nov 15 15:22:15 EST 2004

In article <BAY24-F35J1QioooycJ00084506 at hotmail.com>,
 mythhere at hotmail.com ("Yoon Eun-jeong") wrote:

> I'm a student in a master course and study of antimicrobial agents.
>
> nowadays, i study of in vivo screening of new antimicrobial agents. also, i
> wanna do some in vivo study with the agents for in vivo systemic infection
> model.
>
> i've seen that ICR mice(swiss albino mice) are used for the in vivo test
> because of 5 reasons in text. 4 of them looks not so important ones, since,
> they are about the problem of costs or supply. however one of them looks
> very important for me. the one is "swiss albino is good for study of the
> relationship of infection and antimicrobial agent activity"
>
> i did not know about them until now. and i've done the pre-test and have
> some data. i did do the works with some papers of balb/c systemic infection
> model.
>
> do u think that i have to do all the works with icr again?
> or can i use the data with balb/c?

I think that you'd be better off deciding which infections you want to study
and then do some research into which strains are most commonly used for
studying the infections you are interested in. For many (maybe even most or
all) pathogens, some mouse strains are more susceptible to infection than
others. Picking an infectious disease model based on a very general (and
inaccurate) statement that claims the Swiss albino as the best model for
all infectious diseases is foolish. There is no basis for this claim.

Balb/c is used as a murine model for a large number of infectious diseases. If
Balb/c works for you then you shouldn't feel like you're doing anything wrong
by using it.

Stacy