Electroporator recs

Lou zero529 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 17:35:48 EST 2004

The archives don't turn up anything recent, so I guess I'll ask here:

Any opinions on which electroporators are reliable but inexpensive?
We need to transform bacteria (E. coli and others) and yeast and are
looking for an inexpensive electroporator that hopefully won't break
down on us.  We don't need to do mammalian cells right now, but having
that option for down the road would be a big plus.

There's always Bio-Rad, but they're so expensive.  I've never had a
BTX (ECM399?) or an Eppendorf (2510?).  Anyone had experience with
those?  Any other brands I should consider?

Many thanks,
Lou