Electroporator recs

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Mon Nov 22 21:54:05 EST 2004

On 19 Nov 2004 14:35:48 -0800, zero529 at yahoo.com (Lou) wrote:

>The archives don't turn up anything recent, so I guess I'll ask here:
>
>Any opinions on which electroporators are reliable but inexpensive?
>We need to transform bacteria (E. coli and others) and yeast and are
>looking for an inexpensive electroporator that hopefully won't break
>down on us.  We don't need to do mammalian cells right now, but having
>that option for down the road would be a big plus.
>
>There's always Bio-Rad, but they're so expensive.  I've never had a
>BTX (ECM399?) or an Eppendorf (2510?).  Anyone had experience with
>those?  Any other brands I should consider?

Basic bacterial electroporator is an exceedingly simple device that can
easily  be build for $50 ($200 if power supply has to to be included). As such,
they are all reliable and absolutely anything will work just fine. All the rest
is bells and wistles you are 99% sure to have very limited use for.
That said, you can't go wrong with BTX *or* Bio-Rad.  Feature for feature,
BTX is not likely to be less expensive.

DK