Ergonomic pipettors

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Fri Oct 1 09:10:15 EST 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:01:34 +0100, Oliver De Peyer <opeyer at nimr.mrc.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Does anybody know of an ergonomic pipettor in the 10s of ml range? I.e,
>equivalent to the Integra Pipetboy range?
>
>When I say ergonomic I mean NON-AXIAL, like the Ovation range from
>VistaLab, where your hand lies parallel to the bench when gripping the
>pipettor instead of at right angles to it like a normal, axial pipettor
>(i.e PipetBoy, Gilson etc. etc.)

http://www.vistalab.com/adjustable.asp

Wow, they call it ergonomic? The only ergonomic
think to do with this pipet is to deliver the volume
into eppendorf. For everything else, it is decidedly
anti-ergonomic. Putting tips on from the rack -
that will be a total disaster! Unnatural hand position
plus center of mass is very far away from the tip's
axis ==> poor fit or slipping to the side and toppling
the rack over with or without breaking the pipetor's
tip and injuring the hand. Drawing a liquid from
anything that's "axial" and cannot be tilted easily
like eppendorf (e.g. nearly full bottle) - very
awkward. Ejecting tips into "axially" positioned
trash is liley to be inconveneint too.

DK