Ergonomic pipettors

D.K. dk at
Fri Oct 1 09:10:15 EST 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:01:34 +0100, Oliver De Peyer <opeyer at>

>Does anybody know of an ergonomic pipettor in the 10s of ml range? I.e,
>equivalent to the Integra Pipetboy range?
>When I say ergonomic I mean NON-AXIAL, like the Ovation range from
>VistaLab, where your hand lies parallel to the bench when gripping the
>pipettor instead of at right angles to it like a normal, axial pipettor
>(i.e PipetBoy, Gilson etc. etc.)

Wow, they call it ergonomic? The only ergonomic
think to do with this pipet is to deliver the volume
into eppendorf. For everything else, it is decidedly
anti-ergonomic. Putting tips on from the rack -
that will be a total disaster! Unnatural hand position
plus center of mass is very far away from the tip's
axis ==> poor fit or slipping to the side and toppling
the rack over with or without breaking the pipetor's
tip and injuring the hand. Drawing a liquid from
anything that's "axial" and cannot be tilted easily
like eppendorf (e.g. nearly full bottle) - very
awkward. Ejecting tips into "axially" positioned
trash is liley to be inconveneint too.