Denatured alcohol (ethanol) OK for standard molecular biology solutions?

Paul Wary paul_wary at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 08:23:25 EST 2004

Hi,

We had non-denatured alcohol (ca. 99 %, pro analysi) and denatured
alcohol (ca. 99 % with around 1 % methylethylketone, pro analysi) in
our lab. We were running out of non-denatured alcohol, and I asked one
my lab mates whether I can use the denatured alcohol for making
standard molecular biology/biochemistry solutions (such as certain
buffers for precipitation or washing of nucleic acids, washing
solution for silver staining of protein gels).
He said no, I would have to use non-denatured alcohol but couldn't
give me a reason for that. I can't think of a reason why 1 %
methylethylketone would be a problem for the  uses of alcohol
mentioned above.
Can you tell me when denatured alcohol can be used for standard
procedures of molecular biology and biochemistry, when not, and why?

Paul