quick identity test

Sergio yokese at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:47:03 EST 2004

fabio wrote:
> In the last years it often happens to hear at TV-news of people
> identified with DNA test very quickly (Sadam Hussein, dead people of
> terrorist attack,...).
> I know that it is neccessary at less one extraction of DNA, one
> determination of quantity and quality of DNA, a multiplex PCR of some
> VNTR , polyacrylamide gel, silver staining.
> There are also other way, but wich can be do in only 5 hours?
> Thanks in advance.
> Fabio Di Benedetto

extraction of DNA takes less than 1h using trizol-based kits. Actually,
PCR could be done using something very far from "pure". When amplifying
bacterial genes, a way to do it is just boil some cells and using the
supernatant for PCR.
anyway, determination of quality and quantity takes less than 5 minutes.
forget the polyacrilamide gel and silver staining, PCR amplification and
capillary sequencer or real time PCR save a lot of time.
Sergio