How do I sterilize tiny volumes of solutions?

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at
Fri Oct 29 09:55:50 EST 2004

Perhaps you can use a solvent that will act to
sterilize as well.  For example, for plant tissue
culture, my lab often uses 100% DMSO or ethanol
as the solvent to make hormone solutions.
Usually, after these are added to the media, the
solvent is present at less than 0.2%. We have had
no contamination problems doing it this way.

Hope this helps.

Mike Sullivan

>I have tiny volumes of solutions (around 100 µl) that I need to
>sterilize before use in cell culture. Autoclaving is no option because
>the solvents are not stable enough. Filtration doesn't work with the
>filters we have because they almost completely soak up the entire
>volume during filtration. Are there any special filters for this
>purpose or any other options for sterilizing such tiny volumes?

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D
Research Plant Molecular
U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center
1925 Linden Drive West