Automatic DNA Seqencer - which one is better?

remove dot j131 at
Fri Sep 10 02:11:33 EST 2004

In article <29f2499d.0409090415.e348395 at>, bounty at (Anna) wrote:
>zachnilsen at (Zach) wrote in message
> news:<17bb234a.0409081709.39844cab at>...
>> We have the ABI 377 sequencer and it's a pain to use.  I would not
>> recommend this outdated technology to anyone.
>> Shortly, I'm going to use the 16 capillary ABI 3100 that is available
>> in the lab across the hall.  Fellow students say that it requires
>> minimal effort to get great sequences without going through the pain
>> to cast gels and load samples manually.  There is no well-to-well
>> leakage, because each sample runs in a separate capillary.

>Hi Zach,
>I have a little costs a fortune... What do you think
>about ABI PRISM 310? Is that very bad? and old? Do you know any more
>sequencers? More automated of course.

Dont buy 310 unless it is not sequencing you are interested in.
Short reads, one capillary short life of laser: waste of time and money.

And I dont think you can buy 377 anymore.

I am afraid there is really no "cheap and reliable" automatic sequencer.

If you cant afford 3100 then you would be much better off buing sequencing
reactions and not the sequencer.