Hardy-Weinberg

Tom Anderson ucgatan at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 11:35:31 EST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Christopher wrote:

> Perhaps an exceedingly stupid question, but what does it mean if a given
> trait is found NOT to be in HW equilibrium?

It means you have one (or more) of:

* mutation
* gene migration
* genetic drift
* nonrandom mating
* natural selection

At least, according to:

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/H/Hardy_Weinberg.html

:)

I think something that page doesn't address is the possibility that some
combinations of genes are lethal (although it comes under 'mortality
selection', i suppose). For example, if you have a pair of redundant but
essential genes, then even though there are null alleles for both floating
around the population, you won't find any double nulls, as they have, as
we say, snuffed it.

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL