Hardy-Weinberg

Tom Anderson ucgatan at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Sep 18 17:02:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, D.K. wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:35:31 +0100, Tom Anderson <ucgatan at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Christopher wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps an exceedingly stupid question, but what does it mean if a given
> >> trait is found NOT to be in HW equilibrium?
>
> Seems to me someone was not doing a homework.

Probably, but i reckon anyone who actually manages to find Methods &
Reagents deserves a break - discovering this resource is actually far more
useful than learning about one particular technique.

> >It means you have one (or more) of:
> >
> >* mutation
> >* gene migration
> >* genetic drift
> >* nonrandom mating
> >* natural selection
> >
> >At least, according to:
> >
> >http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/H/Hardy_Weinberg.html
> >
> >:)
> >
> >I think something that page doesn't address is the possibility that some
> >combinations of genes are lethal (although it comes under 'mortality
> >selection', i suppose).
>
> This case is covered by "selection" in the list above.

Yes - but it wasn't discussed explicitly in the exposition on the page.

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL