RNA dot blot protocol?

Dr. Klaus Eimert eimert at web.de
Mon Sep 20 07:07:08 EST 2004

Hi evreybody,

I am looking for a fast and "fool-proof" RNA dot blot protocol.
I want to do some ISH on paraffin sections using DIG-labeled probes. To
make sure that my probes are OK and specific, I thought to do a RNA dot
blot for control.
I thought to just spot the total RNA on the membrane and let it dry (no
manifold or such). The protocols I found in the books and on the web differ
quite a bit, though. In some, RNA is spotted on the dry membrane, some
prewet with water or SSC (2x to 20x). Also, some don`t denature the RNA at
all, some "boil" (65-70°C) and some use NaOH.
So, does anybody care to share her/his good/bad experience with a certain
protocol? Any traps I should to avoid?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Klaus