Streptavidin DynaBeads for isolation of biotin tagged transmembrane protein

Arthur Beyder beyder at buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 23 10:14:29 EST 2004

Hello,

I would like to try to extract a biotin-tagged voltage-gated ion
channels from transfected HEK cells (alternatively I could use C6 or
astrocytes, but I prefer HEKs).  I have no experience in biochemistry, I
apologize for oversimplifying the problem.

I have streptavidin DYnabeads that I can use to pull off the
biotin-tagged protein.  I've never done this before, does anyone have
any suggestions or potential problems.

Also, what would be the best way to find out whether I have enough
protein to see it on a gel?  This is perhaps my biggest concern, I'd
like to be sure that there is enough sample.

Thank you,
Arthur