stained proteins as control for semi-dry transfers in western blotting

Wolfgang Schechinger hubahopp at gmx.de
Fri Sep 24 10:14:56 EST 2004

Dear Experts,

I am looking for a cheap colored positive control that enables me to check
for complete protein transfer from PAA gels to NZ membranes, as I want to
avoid any staining procedures like coomassie, ponceau red an so on.

Thus, I thought of covalently coupling some dye to bsa or even hrp if the
latter remains active, in order to have something like the commercial but
expensive pre-stained markers (we currently use a mix of a colored protein
ladder and engineered peroxidase).

Are there any easy to obtain colored proteins in the range from 20 to 150 kD?

Your thoughts, ideas and comments are highly welcome!

Best regards,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Schechinger, PhD (Dr. rer. nat.)
Chemistry and Life Sciences

BGFA XU44
Med Clinic I / Endocrine Research
University Hospital "Bergmannsheil"